The blogosphere is getting more and more crowded by the day. There are millions of bloggers writing daily, with many of them writing on similar subjects.
Therefore, due to the high number of blogs fighting for readers’ attention, it is becoming increasingly difficult to become popular. So as a blogger, how can you have a blog that stands out from the rest?
It is important to make sure that your blog is content-centric. Content will keep your older readers reading and drive new traffic to your blog.
The following are some things to consider when writing blog posts.
1. Write quality content which can benefit readers. If people can’t benefit from your content, what is the use of them reading your articles?
2. Write consistently. It is okay to blog on a monthly, weekly or even a daily basis. Regardless of your blogging schedule, make sure you keep it consistent.
3. Participate in conversations. This allows you offer your opinion on the latest discussions. This is an ideal way of getting readers from other blogs.
4. Keep your content brief and to the point. Readers are likely to read a short, concise post compared to a long, winding post.
When readers visit your blog, they should be able to find your content quickly and read it without difficulty.
If they wish to subscribe on your blog, they need to be able to locate your RSS feed easily. Whatever the case, you should make it as easy as possible for your readers.
The following are some things you need to consider.
- Your site’s content needs to be easy to navigate and easy to read
- Make it easy for readers to locate your content by having categories and placing a search feature on the blog
- Make sure your RSS subscription button can be easily accessed by anyone who wishes to read content from the RSS reader
- Limit the features and options on your blog. There is no point in having numerous features, and yet only a few are used by your visitors.
- Avoid technical terminologies where possible. When you have to use technical jargon, always offer brief explanations.
You might have an outstanding blog. However, if people can’t find it, it doesn’t matter. Use social mediums and search engines to draw traffic to your blog.
Optimize your blog for search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing. This way, you stand a better chance of attracting traffic from them.
Don’t forget to distribute your content to sites such as Digg and Del.icio.us.